1. Pretty. Washes are usually coordinated to a point, so they always look pretty on the rack. Colour wash is my favourite.
2. The magic porridge pot of pants. If you are wearing yesterdays it's by choice only.
3. The appliance of science. My obsession with the vintage horse-hair hydrometer informs me that it is over 70 so we are experiencing sea mist and yesterdays wash will not be dry yet, so I can take the evening off. In winter it informs me that it is below 60 and therefore hanging wet laundry on radiators is acceptable in order to avoid the inhabitants of the apartment crumbling to dust. No decision making required.
4. Go Eco. A friend of mine makes her own more eco-friendly hobby powder and gave me a sample to try. Not only is it cheap and the ingredients easy to find but it works well too! This kind of hobby powder definitely requires some further investigation - it's fun to try new things and look to the future etc.
5. So tidy. Neatly folded and stacked T-shirts, a bunch of paired socks, fresh towels waiting to be put away - what's not to love?
6. Climbing the laundry mountain. Pitching your tent at 'Fits in One Basket' camp a couple of days after visitors depart and then the joy of reaching the summit of 'Not Enough for a Load'. Have a sit down; you must be tired after all that.
7. Hand Iron. Hand washing is easier than you (I) think. Chuck it in the sink with some suitable hobby powder and rinse it later. Hang on shower taps to drip. The end. Iron little and often; enjoy yourself in the sunny dining room or in front of the TV. It's either hand wash or ironing mind, don't wear yourself out.
8. New favourites. Knowing that you can look great in those clean new trousers again tomorrow.
9. Manual labour. After staring at a two screens of numbers and files and comparing those numbers and files for 8 hours it is pleasant to do something manual that involves textures other than smooth plastic. It is also a time of quiet contemplation (or a time to chat) in the bathroom/kitchen.
10. Good vibrations. The rumble of the washing machine during dinner is always a thrilling sound.
The laundry hobby is not quite so appealing on weekends thanks to other hobbies, but if one indulges enough during the week it's ok wait until Monday. Besides, you can't visit 'Fits in One Basket' camp if it always fits in one basket.
Co-founder, The Clean Sheet